Thursday, June 16, 2011

DIY Kid's Toy

I worked on a little DIY project yesterday I had been thinking about for a while.

Daniel brought home some Voss water a while back and I knew exactly what to do with the empty bottles.




I saw the project on pinterest before but every time in the past I have seen Voss water bottles I have thought about doing this project. This one on pinterest finally made me go for it.

The Voss water Daniel brought home was in smaller bottles, which was just perfect for me. I took 2 bottles and once they were empty I let them dry out and removed the labels from the bottles.

During my last few trips to and from my parents' house, I had collected some little trinkets. I also found some tiny things to fit inside the bottles around my home, too. I collected a penny, a button, a mini pig, and some other little trinkets.

IMG_1398

Last night I assembled the bottles. I filled 15 trinkets in each bottle (making sure each item was different in each bottle). Then, I filled it mostly with rice and put the cap back on and shook it up. The point of this is to look for the items, kind of like a game of I Spy. (There are actual toys like this I have seen in the stores called 'I Spy', but they are filled with small beads instead of rice.)

So, I made one for my nephew Joseph and one for my nephew Adam. Some of the trinkets actually belonged to them, which is funny, but that makes it even more fun. They will recognize some of the items in the bottle.

For the game, you can look for each individual item, or you can look for certain characteristics, like colors or types of items. It's really just a fun little identification/discovery game. And would be great for long car rides or if a kid is just plain old bored.

I plan on giving these to my nephews when we go camping in a couple of weeks. It's a surprise and I think they are really going to like them.

IMG_1401


Here is the list of what's in Joseph's container:

scorpion
dice
heart
cow
pig
paper clip
penny
rock
button
safety pin
bird
lego
shark tooth
wheel
marble

IMG_1402

And this is what's inside Adam's container:

cow
pig
macaroni wheel
bird
penny
paper clip
button
heart
star
safety pin
lego
rock
shark tooth
marble
scorpion

IMG_1403


I am going to wrap these up and include a tag with the contents. I will probably glue/modge podge the contents tag to the cap since it is big enough. I may even put their name on the top of each one so there is no fighting over which one belongs to each of them. Also, the caps are super glued so they can't open them and spill rice everywhere.

Best of all, this project was free! It was fun searching for the little trinkets, but everyone always has little things like that hanging around. The rice we already had, and the water bottles would have just been thrown away after we drank the water anyway, so it was a great thing to make. I hope they like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment