Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!!

Happy Halloween!!

This year we carved 3 pumpkins and 1 turnip.


IMG_3199

The Kanji one is "face" in Japanese.


Why did we carve a turnip? That's because of Jack of the Lantern.

IMG_3194

The story behind Jack'o'lanterns is here: http://merganser.math.gvsu.edu/myth/jackothelantern.html

Basically, Jack tricked the devil into promising not to take his soul. When he died he was in limbo between heaven and hell, because he wasn't good enough for heaven and the devil promised not to bring him to hell. He was given an ember from the devil so he could see while he was wandering around in the dark. He put the ember in a carved out turnip and held it like a lantern. He became known as Jack of the Lantern. It's an old Irish folk story, and I love it.


I also made some pumpkin cake pops. They are various flavors (next time I will have to actually make pumpkin bread or cake ones). Someone ordered 2 dozen from me for a Halloween party and I brought the rest to work to give out as treats for Halloween.

IMG_3206

We decorated our front window with origami bats:

IMG_3198


Even Beethoven at home has some Halloween spirit!

IMG_3176




I made some apple butter with the rest of my apples from the orchard:

IMG_3187

And canned it for some friends:

IMG_3191

And I roasted some pumpkin seeds and flavored them with cinnamon and sugar:

IMG_3188

They are delicious!


On Saturday, after I delivered the 201+ cake pops that a bride ordered for her wedding, I saw this amazing sunset.

IMG_3165


And speaking of those wedding cake pops, here they are:

IMG_3161

No comments:

Post a Comment