Saturday, April 17, 2010

RVA & Happy Record Store Day!

Today, Daniel met me as I was leaving work so we could go to the Edgar Allan Poe museum together. He has been reading through the book we have with the complete works of EAP, so we decided to finally pay a little visit to the oldest house standing in Richmond. Our first stop though was a spot on Shafer Street where "POE" is marked on the sidewalk..it's a tale that he was known to lay in the streets, and Shafer Street was one he was found on before. Poor EAP..

On our way downtown we stopped in Shockoe Bottom and browsed a few of the stores down there, including These Four Walls..which is a great store but I would never be able to buy (or ever justify buying) anything in that store..it was very inspirational though. I could totally refurbish some things to get the same look..so yeah. We also got around to taking a bunch of photos of some signs down there (which I have been meaning to do pretty much since I moved here)..and we visited the 17th Street Farmers' Market, which is one of my favorite Richmond places. Didn't buy anything, though.

When we finally got to the museum, we took our sweet time there. We enjoyed the weather and took our time reading every single thing in each of the exhibits. I knew a lot about EAP before the visit (went through a brief phase as a sad teenager studying up on him, which is why I had the book in the first place), but I learned a lot about him today, too. It was a nice visit and worth it, but I don't think I'll be going back. It is definitely a visit-only-once type of place for me..when we left I was very sad. Just thinking about his life and then seeing some of the things in the exhibits really can make a person sad......if you've ever been then you most likely know what I mean. Most of the photos from today are on my flickr page, but a couple are below too.







(hose posts like these are all over old rva..there are a ton in my neighborhood and something about them is really neat to me..they are one of my favorite architectural types of things in this town)


So after we left the museum all sad and gloomy feeling, we decided to pay a visit to none other than Hollywood Cemetery. We walked through it a little bit and then we decided to drive through the rest of the way, since there was so much to see and we didn't have all day. After a while, I got spooked out, so we left and headed into the fan..

We had a late lunch/early dinner at Mojo's in the fan, near VCU. It wasn't busy at all, and everything was really good & fresh. After that we headed back towards our side of town, but made sure to stop at FANtastic thrift on the way. Didn't find anything there to buy, but I did see an awesome J.Crew skirt for $4..probably should have bought it.

We looped around to Carytown and found out it was Chalk Up the Town day..all of the sidewalks were covered in awesome chalk drawings. There were some pretty amazing ones there too.

We hit up a few of the shops in Carytown and made sure we stopped by Plan9 since today was Record Store Day. There were tons of great deals all around the store. I am proud to say the only money we spent today was on lunch, and the entry fee for the Poe museum.

Well, that's pretty much what it's like going around town. There's always something fun, random, and new (and even free!) to do in Richmond..I love this town. The old signs and architecture really make a girl like this one (me) happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment