Thursday, March 4, 2010

No-Knead Bread

Last night I made some no-knead bread. I mixed the dough and let it rise immediately after I got home from work. Then later, I baked it. It takes about 50-60 min. to bake. It came out really really really good. I am not crazy about bread, but Daniel loves it. The recipe I used is by Jim Lahey. I had been meaning to make this no-knead bread recipe for a few years now. Ever since it was featured in the New York Times & David Lebovitz (and just about the rest of the blogosphere) blogged about it, back in 2006.



Even though he claims the bread (that he made) tastes like nothing, mine is actually really good. It takes like warm delicious bread, to me. Maybe I used a different method than he did, but mine was delicious. As soon as I took mine out of the oven last night, I placed it on my big bamboo cutting board and cut it in half. Then I cut off a piece for me and a piece for Daniel. It was really good. We had eaten dinner earlier, so it's not as if we were really hungry for anything, either. Daniel really liked it, which means it must be a great bread recipe. I put a little square of butter on my piece, and it melted all over the bread and made it even more delicious.



Here is the link to the nytimes article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1&ex=1167282000&en=498bd3f6f6e9e548&ei=5070

All you need is flour, yeast, salt, and water. Basic items! And a big pot with a lid, like a dutch oven. I have a black cast iron pot with a lid; it is really heavy. I actually got it from Target back when the whole no-knead bread craze was going on..for only $20! I know they had other ones that were enameled and different colors, but I just got the plain one. Back then I wasn't sure about color schemes and thought the black one would fit in with everything. It is great..and it works just the same as a Le Creuset pot does..it just doesn't cost the same! Why spend $200 when you can spend $20? Gotta love Target.

So I am definitely keeping this recipe and making more bread with it in the future. Who needs a bread machine? A lot of blogs I follow have all sorts of other recipes for no-knead bread, so if I want to change it up and get other flavors, I can do that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment