Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow, pie, pumpkin bread..and a project

Today I took a little stroll over to Carytown, took some pictures of the snow around the neighborhood..stopped in and grabbed some groceries at the store, and then grabbed some lunch at the Baker's Crust..delish. It was really bright out, and warm, despite the snow everywhere. The snow is too powdery to make anything with it, though..

Earlier I baked an apple pie from scratch, the best way to make pies. First I prepared the dough and then peeled and sliced up the apples. In the bowl, it's a good idea to put lemon juice with the apples so they don't brown before you are finished with them. Next I mixed sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and then added in the apples. The juice from the apples is all the liquid needed for the mixture, so once all of that was incorporated, I added it to my pie pan. Then I added some cut up butter to the top, put some dough on for the top of the pie, and then I sealed it and foiled it. I also brushed the top with some water and sprinkled some sugar on top.



It baked for about an hour, or a little less. I just watched it while I was in the kitchen preparing some pumpkin bread.



I made some quick pumpkin bread and poured it into 4 little pyrex fridgies. Once the pie was done, I baked those and they came out perfectly. Our home smells sooo good right now, it feels like Christmas all over again.





Usually around this time of year I get sad about things for no reason in particular. I suppose it's just a seasonal thing. Anyway, the snow and all of this baking has really brought in a bright spot for me. I have definitely enjoyed being snowed in with Daniel this weekend. Even though he had to work both days, he still got to come home early since his store closed early on both days. I have a lot to be happy about, so I'm going to be happy from here on out. No one's gonna take that away from me.

I guess it's also time for me to start editing my novel, for real. Remember, back in November I participated in national novel writing month. I finished in time, but I know my novel needs a lot of work. It was just a fun project to do. Since then, I have already read Fayth's novel.

Another project I am going to start is cooking/baking from the family recipes I have collected over the years. There are many things I have made successfully, but there are several things I have been too scared to try and make. Back when we had our wedding shower with Fayth's side of the family, one of her cousins, Mary Ellen, gave us a family cookbook she had made and published. I have made a few things from it, but I am going to try and make everything from it. Call it a Julie/Julia phase.. (love that book and movie) but I think it's going to be fun. Also, for my bridal shower, the guests gave me recipe cards with their own traditional or family recipes on them. I want to be able to make all of those, too.

So, if you know me, be prepared to be trying some of these things I'll be making/baking.




No comments:

Post a Comment