Saturday, January 30, 2010


It's almost February! Daniel folded me 120 pink and red (7 different colors) origami hearts today. I also learned how to make them; it's his design. So they are on display ready for Valentine's Day!

We also had a lot of snow hit Richmond today. We got over a foot of snow! We were both really excited about it because we were in Texas when Richmond got snow the last time. Yesterday I was constantly checking the weather radar, just watching the huge mass on the radar get closer and closer to us. I knew it was gonna be huge. So many people are complaining about it (wah wah), but I love it-it's great! Especially when you don't have to be anywhere. Tomorrow we plan on going out to make snow people and snow angels in the snow. Our neighborhood is so pretty with the snow everywhere. All of the old buildings here in the city are beautiful with snow everywhere.

I'm not too concerned about being snowed in, because Carytown is just down the street from us so we can always walk to the grocery store if we needed to. A little trudging in the snow never hurt anyone.





Also, I have been thoroughly going through my uncle's book on my maternal grandmother's side of the family. He has traced that side (her paternal side, the Kageys) of the family all the way back to the late 1600's..in 1693 my great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather Johannes Keagy was born in Zurich, Switzerland, and then he moved over to America to live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where he married my great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother Rebecca Patterson, who moved to Lancaster, PA after she was born in Ireland. How cool is that? He is currently working on her maternal side, the Lloyds, so I am really looking forward to that (my uncle told me that side of the family is where the Cherokee Native Americans come in). I have always been interested in genealogy studies, so maybe one day I will do the same thing for my dad's side of the family. I think it's important to know about your family's history, but it's also really exciting to see who was doing what way back when. I was never really interested in American history until now, now that I think about it.

I was able to make a little time line of my Kagey ancestors, by using the internets and my uncle's book (I am also on ancestry.com, and it's amazing how many people are linked to me on there already!). I had three sets of great grandparents who were living in America before there were any presidents, before the Declaration of Independence, before the Revolutionary War, or any of that. It's all really neat and fascinating to me. I knew my parents grew up in a time when a lot was going on in America, so it's really cool to trace ancestry back like this. My grandmother's parents were born in the late 1800's. That to me is just amazing.

More to come..

No comments:

Post a Comment