Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sunday was our 1 year wedding anniversary. We got up extra early and drove out to Luray, VA. During the drive we made sure to stop at any little junk/antique/thrift store we saw. We saw a ton of pyrex, but I didn't buy any of it. It was cool seeing all of it, though. Saw some pieces I have never actually seen in person, and of course they were a small fortune.

The weather on Sunday was awesome, especially since it had been raining all week. The sun was out and it was actually pretty warm. Same thing on Monday.

So we went to Luray caverns, since Daniel had never been inside a cavern or anything like that. When I was little the whole family went to one of the caverns out that way (I want to say Skyline?), but I didn't remember very much about that trip. The walk through Luray Caverns was really cool though. There weren't very many people there, either.

We took tons of photos, saw some fried eggs, a wishing well, a bride and groom made of rock, and we heard the caverns play the organ. It was really neat. It was also cool how quiet the caverns were, there was no other sound in there, except for the occasional water drop. The air was so clean and fresh and crisp, too. It was awesome.

After that we checked out the gift shops there and then drove around for some more, looking for a nice restaurant to eat dinner at. We checked out downtown Luray (including the visitor's center) and stopped at a restaurant there, but after we got inside we realized it wasn't what we had in mind, so we left. Embarrassing!

We drove all the way to Woodstock, VA and then stopped at a hotel there. The hotel was brand new, and it was really nice. We were the only people staying there, and I'm pretty sure we were the first ones to stay in the room we were in. Everything was really nice there-there was an indoor heated pool & hot tub, so we ran up the street to walmart & grabbed some stuff to go swimming. They were out of swimsuits, so we improvised with some gym clothes and it all worked out fine. We found a neat little restaurant in the downtown area there, and we were one of the only ones there, too. It was delicious! We ate the top of our cake that we kept from the wedding, and the cake was pretty good. :)

We got up early on Monday and had breakfast at the hotel, which was actually good, and then we hit the road again. We headed out to Winchester, and visited Dinosaur Land. That place was nothing like I remembered it being when I was a kid. But we laughed about it and made fun of all the tacky looking fiber glass dinosaurs and grammatically incorrect signs. We checked out their gift shop and took a bunch of photos there as well. Let's just say at least I know I won't ever need to go back there again.

We ended up driving home through Warrenton, Stafford, and then stopped in Fredericksburg for lunch. After that we came back home to Richmond.

So we had a lot of driving, but we made a lot of stops at different thrift stores and junk shops, etc. It was cool. We didn't have any time issues either, so we could just go wherever we felt like going.

and yay for not buying any pyrex!

I did catch Daniel's cold, though. So now I am trying to fight it off... I have about 17k words left to finish my novel, and I have a feeling I can get to that by the end of this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment